Guidance for alcohol Personal Licence Holders and owners/managers of businesses with a Premises Licence
Personal Licence Holders have a vital job within the licensed trade sector because they authorise the sale of alcohol in both on and off-sales businesses and ensure that each and every sale is legal. Here is some key advice and guidance regarding the mandatory training requirements under the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005.
For Personal Licence Holders, the role is one of considerable responsibility and, as such, there is a requirement for these individuals to complete refresher training and pass the exam within five years of the date on which their licence was issued by their local Licensing Board.
As a Personal Licence Holder, you must complete the training and pass the Scottish Certificate for Personal Licence Holders (Refresher) exam within FIVE YEARS of your Personal Licence being issued.
If you don't complete your training in time:
• Your Personal Licence will be revoked. This means you will no longer be able to authorise or supervise the sale of alcohol.
• Once your Personal Licence has been revoked you cannot apply to be a Personal Licence Holder for a further FIVE YEARS.
• If the business you are working in does not have a Personal Licence Holder, it cannot legally sell alcohol and must stop doing so immediately.
Personal Licence Holders can avoid these problems by completing their training within five years of the date of issue of their licence - but they need to act promptly.
• It doesn't matter where you are - training is available in your area. You can complete your training in a college, training centre, at your workplace or even online.
• It is possible that you may not pass the exam first time so don't leave things until the last minute.
• Once you have completed your training and passed the exam, you need to send your SCPLH Refresher award certificate and an application form to the local Licensing Board that issued the licence. Please bear in mind that notification procedures may vary - e.g. some Licensing Boards may wish to see your personal licence.
• Licensing Board staff are there to help you, so if you are unsure about anything get in touch with them. Don't leave it too late.
Please look out for the guidance leaflets coming into your depot and encourage your customers to pick one up. You can also visit the newly created website for further information: www.scplh.info